Being a work-at-home mom (WAHM) has a ton of perks. I mean, you get to hang out at home all day and not wear pants, if you feel like it. The ability to be home with my kids and work around their schedules is one of my biggest reasons for me to work from home doing direct sales. One of the downfalls I have discovered, after chatting with some fellow mom friends, is that we forget to take care of ourselves. We’re home all day focused on the kids, the house, our businesses, you name it. We tell ourselves we will go do the self-care when we have time. And time is all relative and will we ever really have enough of it?! Probably not.
Self-care for the work-at-home mom is important!
So we need to make the time. We need to make ourselves the priority sometimes. Burnout is real. Here are 5 ideas you can do right now and 5 you can schedule for a later time. And seriously, mama, make the time.
5 things you can do right now.
- Drink a glass of water. Yep, I said that. How often do you drink the amount of water your body needs daily?
- Mask your face. It’s quick and easy, but gives you a little extra pep in your step. My favorite mask is the Younique Royalty Detoxifying Mask. I love the tingle once you get it on your face.
- Eat a piece of dark chocolate… or lunch. If you are anything like me, you may have put off eating lunch while you were doing XYZ. You function better when you have eaten. Go eat. Already had lunch? Chocolate. ‘Nuf said (and it’s been found to help boost your mood).
- Go for a walk or bike ride. Even just around your block. Fresh air always makes me feel better. I love a walk by myself, but sometimes having the kids along is just as refreshing. They love getting outside, too.
- Brew a hot cup of coffee. Mmmmm… sip that cup of coffee while perusing your favorite social channel or book. Even if you have to microwave it a few times to get through it. My current favorite coffee is Java Momma’s Coffee Couture. It’s so smooth and delicious.
5 things to schedule for yourself.
- A massage. Seriously. Our bodies are tired (especially if you have littles in the house that don’t sleep). They need a good rub down.
- A doctor/dentist appointment. You know you have at least one appointment that you have been putting off making. Go call (or schedule a reminder alarm on your phone). Right now.
- A hair appointment. Whether it’s only for a shampoo and blow out or the works. You deserve it.
- A date with a friend. Coffee. Paint night. Dinner. Getting out with your girlfriends can be rejuvenating and reminds you there is life outside of being a mom.
- A date with your partner. It’s important to reconnect and remember life before kids. You also want to still be able to connect after the kids move out. Yes, that will happen some day.
What are some of your favorite things to do for self-care?